En Español (Spanish Version)
Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Anything that causes irritation, inflammation, fluid retention, or an abnormal growth in or around the carpal tunnel can cause carpal tunnel syndrome, including:
- Repetitive movements of the hands, wrists, or fingers—especially overactive use of a computer keyboard, certain musical instruments, or hand tools
- Use of vibrating equipment or tools
- A narrow carpal tunnel (due to heredity or other causes)
- Broken bones
- Compression or crush injuries
leading to swelling within the carpal tunnel
, which impairs blood flow in the hands
Water retention due to:
Hormone-related conditions, such as:
Medications, such as:
- Birth control pills
- Cortisone pills or shots
- Some high blood pressure drugs
- Tumors and cysts in the carpal tunnel
Carpal tunnel syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at:
. Updated October 8, 2012. Accessed October 23 ,2012.
Carpal tunnel syndrome: a practical review.
Am Fam Physician
Patijn J, Vallejo R, Janssen M, et al. Carpal tunnel syndrome.